Let me explain.
A month ago, I got invited to watch a promotional run of Defending the Caveman.
Here’s a little background. According to Wikipedia, Defending the Caveman is a comedy written by American actor and comedian Rob Becker about the misunderstandings between men and women. It has been seen in theaters around the world by more than eight million people in forty-five countries and it has been performed in over thirty different languages.
CTE Productions brought the material here and got the uber-talented Joel Trinidad to do it. The one-man play holds the record for the longest running one-man play in the history of Broadway.
Defending the Caveman is a guy pondering about the mysteries of the sexes and coming to the conclusion that men and women are supposed to be different because that’s they way they are meant to fit. That we really just need to understand the motivations of each other to be able to live peaceful together.

Now don’t get too excited and ask where is the Filipino talent and creativity in what I just said. I’m getting to that. Watching the play as performed by Joel, you will not see any hints that the material is not an original. In other words, he owned it. He was it. And that’s a demonstration of talent and artistry. Just ask Randy Jackson.
Joel, in becoming that caveman, demonstrated mastery of his material. Performers know how hard it is to fill a stage. Can you imagine doing it by yourself? Joel did. He managed to get the attention of his audience focused totally on him and hear what he has to say. He got people nodding and chuckling at the right moments. If that’s not talent and skill, I don’t know what is.
Defending the Caveman is having another run at the Carlos P. Romulo Auditorium at the RCBC Plaza until May 21st. I, without any doubt, think you should watch it. Watch it with your boyfriend or your husband. Or watch it alone or with your friends. Doesn’t matter. It is worth it.
Don’t go yet. I’m not yet done.
Last week, I was going around Fully Booked at BHS when I chanced upon a local graphic novel called Filipino Heroes League. Intrigued, went near it and read the back. Looked at the cover again. Written by Paolo Fabregas. Hhhmmm.
The premise presented was enough for me to decide that it would be a good purchase.
For the record, let me tell you that I am not a mindless Filipino-loving pinay. I am all for love of country and loving your own, but I draw the line when the prospect in front of me will surely make me want to kill every Filipino in sight, including myself, out of embarrassment.
Let’s admit it. So many people are preaching about this but a lot of quarters try to take advantage of it by coming up with sub-standard, idiotic products, you almost wish Aguinaldo sold us to the Americans lock, stock and barrel. (What’s that? He did?! Oh, yeah!)
Well anyway, on to my point. What I’m trying to say is that I am among the Filipinos who support our kababayans who do produce quality materials. We think, people. We don’t just patronize your products just because you live in the same country.
And that’s what brings me back to Filipino Heroes League.

Who would have thought that coming up with a group of under-funded third world super heroes can make a feasible, even engaging storyline? Well Paolo did. He looked at the situation and found a way to be humorous, realistic and fantastic (meaning, based on fantasy). Oh, and I meant the other meaning too.
Filipino Heroes League Book One: Sticks and Stones is a very good start to what can be the Philippines' answer to Justice League of America. I kid you not.
And this group of superheroes has something which the JLA does not. It exists in an environment where strife is already a part of life. To choose to be a superhero in this set of circumstances equips one with the steadfast heart and resolve which will not easily crumble into dust when the going gets tougher than tough.
So buy your copy and devour it. Let’s support Paolo who has shown us that we need not be embarrassed to say that we can be proud of being Pinoys. FHL guarantees that.
=========
Incidentally, I just want to point out that both Joel Trinidad and Paolo Fabregas are second generation artists. Their proud poppas would be Noel Trinidad and Jaime Fabregas, artists whom we can be super proud of (just in case you didn’t know).
2 comments:
seriously? amen. sana napanood ko rin. :)
it's not too late. bring your sugar muffin along.
Post a Comment